I've been using FL studio 12
with a Scarlett 6i6
(controlled with the Focusrite Control software), for a few months now with no issues. But over the weekend the following sequence of events happened:
1) Got a new USB B - USB C cable
2) Tried the new cable with the audio interface, with which up until now I've used a USB B - USB A cable
3) Focusrite Control seems to be working fine still
4) Crank up FL, and all audio is horribly distorted and terrible. Try closing and re-opening FL a few times but the problem doesn't change.
5) Restart computer and re-plug in audio interface with old USB A cable.
6) No sound whatsoever coming out of FL. It's getting midi and audio signals, as the mixer tracks are lighting up, but it's not outputting.
7) I notice that in the audio device selection option, the Focusrite device option has changed from "Focusrite Control 2.14" to "Focusrite USB ASIO". I think this means FL studio is no longer communicating with Focusrite Control for some reason, which is necessary for it to work. In Focusrite control, you have to set up I/O routing. One of the input options is DAW playback, which up until now was working fine. But now the DAW playback option is getting no signal. FL is definitely processing MIDI and audio signals, though, which tells me that somehow the communication between FL and Focusrite Control has broken down.
8 ) Try uninstalling and reinstalling the focusrite drivers about 8 times to no avail.