or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i20 v2 very low output signal

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 Scarlett 18i20 v2 very low output signal
I have a Scarlett 18i20 connected by Toslink to a Scarlet OctoPre. The Octo is providing the clock and the system is running at 44.1kHz. I have eight synth outpute connected to the 16 input channels via TRS balanced cables. Except for the fact that some of the synths are driving the inputs a little too hot, I have everything resolved on the input side. The "Control" program shows the signals at about the same levels as the displays on the hardware boxes. I have a pair of KRK V6 speakers connected to the monitor outs of the 18i20 using TRS to XLR balanced cables. The monitors are set with the gain control on the rear set to 0dB. With the gain control on the front of the 18i20 set at about 70% (a little more than 2/3ds the rotation of the pot) when the input level on any given channel is driven to just under clipping, the output signal is audible, but nowhere near loud enough to mix with. When I crank up the gain control on the 18i20, the output level increases a bit, but at a severe expense of pink noise (it's not white, it's colored, and there is no hum). There originally was a Presonus box with similar specs where the 18i20 now is, and with the output from that interface, I could literally shake the studio walls with the V6s. For shits and giggles, I pulled out an old Behringer UMC404HD interface, connected a synth to its inputs and connected the V6s to it. Results were as with the Presonus, it was very loud.

First, I would like to know if this is a problem common the the Focusrite. If it Is, I suppose I could put a preamp between the 18i20 and the speakers, but it seems that this should be overkill. Also, there's the possibility that I missed something in setting the gain structure of the Focusrite box. For example, there's a slider volume slider on the Monitor Our of the Control GUI. I have not been able to move it, it continually sits at a position just above 50%, and I have found no way to move it. Also, is there some hidden output pad that I missed. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

John

P.S. I see Behringer makes a rack box with a similar configuration and specs that can be had for $250 at Sweetwater. Focusrite service has been almost impossible to deal with. I'm getting so frustrated with this problem that I'm considering buying the Behringer and dumping the Focusrite on Reverb.