Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting

• 42 replies
  • 27 participants
  • 27 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting
Hey,

This problem has been doing my head in for a year now and now that I work as a professional I just have to get this fixed:

System:

Windows 8.1 64bit,
Scarlett 2i2 (Drivers 3.1.10) with Behringer Truth monitors plugged

What happens is that I hear a loud pop from my speakers followed by my 1 & 2 input knob lights flashing. Also when this happens the device briefly disappears from my Windows audio devices menu for a short while. The problem is inconsistent and can happen 1-10 times in a minute, once in an hour or I can go a day without it happening.

Also 1 problem I'd appreciate if someone can answer: On Pro Tools 11 when I choose Scarlett to use ASIO4ALL drivers it crashes Pro Tools. What gives?

Cheers for any help!

EDIT: It's now clear that the Ethernet cable is the cause. However I don't know how to solve this

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2015 at 02:43:56 ]

Show first post
Hello

Recently purchased 2i2 gen2.
The computer and the card are always on.
After 5-30 hours, the sound starts popping.
This happens approximately for a period of 30 seconds, after which it is no longer possible to listen.
To fix it - take out and insert the cable from the card.

I tried the driver 4.15, beta 4.26.0.183.
I tried the USB 3, USB 2, external and embedded in the motherboard and USB 3 external with power supply.
Tried to change the USB cable.
No difference.

10 seconds example:
Crack.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3gQUxLbCRBgTjdhSFhJMTZ2cUE/view?usp=sharing

The same normal record.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3gQUxLbCRBgaG9qbC01TlNDUlU/view?usp=sharing

Hi Ilya,

this is a common problem with the newest driver. Talked mutliple time with the customer support.
Try the driver 3.2.2. for the Scarlett. These driver are from 2015 but it seems to fix this problem.
I'm using them too.

http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1196

[ Post last edited on 03/16/2017 at 03:43:22 ]

I tried 3.2.2
On external USB 2.0 - constant card reboots
On the built-in motherboard 2.0 - everything is fine, for 10 days already

Hooray! Thank you.
just wanted to stop in with a real solution. I tried everything in this thread and elsewhere, and still got pops and clicks and stutters during playback. I experienced this on two different computers. I bought the scarlett interface to replace my Tascam us 144 mk2, because I wanted more inputs and outputs, and an on/off switch.

after trying everything I could, yes, everything in this thread and more, I decided to just disconnect the focusrite interface and use the Tascam. no more pops, no more clicks. no more stutters. I commend focusrite support for being active on these forums and trying to provide solutions, but the problem lies in the asio driver for the scarlett interfaces (this is an engineering problem, not a support problem).

the fact that, for two completely different computers, I can switch to an older, crappier interface with a different proprietary driver confirms that the problem is the focusrite asio driver, not any windows settings, bios or processor settings, or anything else. There are only two real solutions to this problem:

1. focusrite writes a new asio driver that resolves these issues
2. users bin their scarletts and buy a device that has a solid driver written for it

[ Post last edited on 05/27/2017 at 22:17:35 ]

Hey. Is there a driver for 2i2 1st gen on Windows 10?
Yes, the newest driver is the 4.36.4 and it's also for the 2i2 1st and 2nd gen. Windows 10 is supported.

---
It solves the problem with the audio distortion after a period of time on my headphone/speakers.
The only problem I have right now (Windows 10 x64 - Desktop PC) is that the microhone input becomes distorted after some time while using TeamSpeak 3. Audio output (headphone/speaker) works well. I use Audacity to record music via ASIO but cannot reproduce it there. Teamspeak is using Direct Audio (Windows Audio Layer).
I don't get this behaviour with the 3.2.2 drivers so it seems that there is still some imrovement potential for the 4.36.4 Focusrite driver. My Focusrite driver settings are default.
Did someone experience the same or find a solution for it? Any usefull tips are much appreciated. Thank you.
Hello.

I have a Scarlett 2i4 with the same problem, bought in 2018. Last time the "popping session" was about 30 seconds, I changed the usb port but still popped, changed again and again, until it suddently stopped.

Any solutions?

Than you
Imo its a driver issue. Even with the newest driver I still got some cracks while recording or in TeamSpeak. I tested so many things and checked the whole internet for a solution. It's better than before with the newest driver but it's still there. You can buy a new interface or maybe find another driver. I don't know if the 3.2.2 driver is working for the 2i4 series.
I personally use the 3.2.2 driver for the 2i2 interface and solo. Sometimes the mic input gets distorted after boot, then I have to replug the cable (or use a script to disable and enable the audio driver in the hardware manager). I would honestly buy another interface next time but for now this is a workaround for me.
August 2020 and I have a macbook mid 2012 with logic X and a Scarlett 2i4. I have maxed out my laptops memory and ram. The scarlett constantly is disconnecting and is very frustrating. When in a project the interface will disconnect and when it appears that it has reconnected there is no audio in anything platform. What is strange is all the preferences are listing the 2i4 as it's input/output on the mac preferences and Logic X but still nothing. I am not here to pick on Focusrite but to find solutions to this problem.

I have read on other forums that the USB plugs themselves are cheap and smaller than they should be to fit the computer to make a proper connection. If this is so it is quite aggravating. ANy help is appreciated as I would like to fix this for as little money as possible but if it takes too long i'll buy another interface and throw money at it.
Hello people of focusrite...
Do you also have some advice for someone who has a focusrite 10i12 which disconnect after a spoke in the net ?
Say a fridge turns on ...

The unit stresses after a loud plop..... In the softmixer all ledmeters start jumping up and down ... No sound from the interface even it is seen by the Mac and is selected as audio output

The sound come from the imac speakers.
I tried to help but I ran out of ideas...

The house is small so I also has little about of fuse groups
Switching to another group does not help...

Worth mentioning is that this isue started a few months ago.

I can't say if the unit is breaking down and becoming very sensitive or that the fridge is getting old ...
Or is it the Mac that has issues ..?

Any ideas? Perhaps you have come across something like this...?

Many thanx

- Angeline

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...