or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett Solo Heaphone TRS to XLR in another mixer, is this possible?

• 10 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Scarlett Solo Heaphone TRS to XLR in another mixer, is this possible?
I am using the scarlett solo for my at2020 condenser mic. I was wondering if I can use a TRS to XLR cable to get the mic audio from the scarlett solo monitor TRS plug to an XLR plug on a different mixer. I am very new to the audio world. Essentially I want to use the scarlett solo as a glorified phantom power supply since the other mixer does not provide phantom power, but I am also using the rca line out for something else so I need so I can't just use a power supply. I read some things about the headphone TRS being stereo and that would cause an issue since everything else is mono, but I didn't find a definitive answer. I am also open to other solutions, but it has to go from the scarlett solo to an xlr port. Thanks for your consideration.

Diagram of what I want to accomplish:

at2020 | XLR -----> XLR | Scarlett Solo | TRS -----> XLR | Mixer
If you not knowing or not sure about what you are going to do then DON'T

I will NEVER advice someone to use the headphone output for other things than a headphone
Some headphone drivers go wild and deliver more voltages than your line in can handle.
It can damage all connected equipment so buy a real phantom power unit or a small mic preamp with phantom power onboard.
Your equipment will thank you for that :)

!!! NOTE

The XLR on your 2nd mixer is a mic input ( millivolts ) if you feed the headphone signal into that it WILL BLOWUP!

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 11/05/2015 at 06:02:29 ]

Ok so here is my new idea. Let me know if it will work or not. I run the at2020 to a phantom power supply. I run the phantom power out to an xlr splitter. I run one splitter out to the scarlett, and the other splitter out to the other mixer. I just need the microphone audio to go the scarlett and the other mixer, and was trying to use the least amount of devices possible. I don't see why this would cause any issues, I just wanted to check first.

Diagram of idea:

at2020|XLR ---> XLR|phantom power supply|XLR ---> XLR|xlr splitter|XLR ---> XLR|scarlett
                                  |XLR ---> XLR|Other mixer

Well splitters may work but first let me ask you another question.
What is the type and brand of the 2nd mixer?

Because i would like to think the other way around. What if you fed the mic signal from the phantom power box to the 2nd mixer and grab a the direct channel out as line to your solo?

Ok so why do i think this way?
It will be the safest way ( and universial way) to connect your equipment.

Don't get me wrong

If the phantom power box gives power to the mic it will channel the signal through
With a y-cable or split cable both the mixer and solo will get signal but can be a bit lower because the lack of buffering the signal.

In your setting the phantom power on the solo MUST set to OFF.
Engaging the phantom power on your solo will BLOWUP your mixers mic input if the input inside is not protected.

- Angelie

[ Post last edited on 11/05/2015 at 10:20:19 ]

Thank you so much for helping me. The other mixer is the Behringer Xenyx 302USB. I don't think there is a way to just get the microphone out of it. I am using this setup for streaming video games. I have created a diagram of my potential setup (link). I haven't actually bought the 302usb yet. If there is another mixer that would accomplish everything I need, please let me know. Please let me know if you have any more questions about my setup.
If you buy the 802 you have 2 mic inputs which have phantom power.
There is a control room / headphones and a main out.

Think with me here:

Mic in mixer and turn on phantom power.
Set panning in 12 o clock ( center)
You can grab your signal from the main output and use the controlroom from headphones.

I will draw a picture for you if nessesary

As extra you have some extra inputs available

-Angelie

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The microphone would be pan at 12oclock, and every other input would be at lets say all the way to the left. So that would make the left channel of main mix everything I want to plug into the computer, and the right channel of main mix would just be the microphone? A picture might be helpful. Also how do I connect to the destination computer? Would I use a ts to 3.5mm cable from the left channel main mix?
Ok i will make an image tomorrow and post it to show my idea... And you may decide if it will work for you...

- Angelie

Here you go.

While drawing i noticed that for your setup the solo is not really needed because you can grab the chat source from the mixer also.
And you can add extra source to the chat by plugging them in the mixer and use the fx send to control the volume.
And of course there are more options now but i'm acting like a runaway train now so i will stop :mdr:

image.php

Ooops i could not help myself :)
Advanced setup !!

image.php

[ Post last edited on 11/07/2015 at 00:58:43 ]

Thank you. That makes perfect sense. Last few questions. For the connection from my computer (as an audio source) and monitor to the mixer, would I use something like this (Link)? And for the fx send it is just another audio out based on the fx knob levels correct? Thank you so much for your assistance.