Create an account

or

Thread New Studio - Looking for Advice

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 New Studio - Looking for Advice
Hi,
I have been into midi, composing and music forever. I have always had various types of small studios as I have grown up, but I have never felt that I had the type of small studio setup that I desired to do what I really wanted. So it is time to put together that setup once and for all and start writing some new music!

So, right now I am trying to decide what is the best audio interface to get and software for what I want to do. My current setup is very simple:

Compaq Armada M700 laptop
PIII 1 Gig
256megs ram
30 gig h/d
Windows 2000 Professional

Roland JV-90 keyboard
Alesis DM5 drum module
Proteus 1 module
Proteus 2 module
Mackie 1202 mixer
Shure SM58

Now I know some of that is older random gear, but that is what I have kicking around to potentially work with, although not required. So, I've been looking at the Digidesign M-Box, however I was told that Pro-Tools is not as good at midi recording and therefore might not be my best option. Someone told me about the Edirol U8-25 and then said to get Cubase or something like that.

I am wanting to do mostly MIDI recording through my keyboard. I do want to purchase a newer sound module as well to add onto my setup. Some live recording will be done (guitars, vocals etc.) but not the main focus.

Any suggestions would be great. I want to make sure I make the best purchase that will get me going asap!

Thanks everyone.
You have the makings of a nice little studio!!

I would recommend an MAudio USB interface such as the OmniStudio USB. Musicians Friend has 'em for $199 (I think they're closing them out). That'll get you 2 mic pre's, some I/O and one midi port.

Combine this with your Mackie Board and you should have plenty of places to plug your midi modules into. For software, I'd recommend Cakewalk because that's what I use (Home Studio should do you for starters). Lots of folks like Cubase, too, but I've always been a Cakewalk guy.

Don't forget to set aside some $$ for some monitors, too. You don't want to mix on computer speakers of stereo equipment if you can help it!!!!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hey Axeman, thanks for your response. That M-audio omnistudio looks great. Kinda the next step up from the Edirol U8-25. I do however think it will be more than $200 given the Edirol is retailing for $299 (canadian). But I will look into it. If it is out of my price range, what do you think about the Edirol U8-25? It just came out not to long ago.

Now I feel silly asking this, but I really want to get this studio set up so I need things to be broken down for me to ensure I get stuff setup the right way. How do I go about setting up my gear (that I listed earlier) with my Mackie mixer? Don't I need to get somthing like a Midiman 4x4 or something to plug my modules/keyboard into and then that into the audio interface? Or am I missing something that should be obvious.

Also, do I need to upgrade my audio card, or is that what the audio interface will do for me. I had the audiophile 24/96 in my desktop, although my desktop just died on me... that is why I am changing over to my laptop now. For portability and because that is what I have to work with at the moment.

Don't worry, I definetly know the importance of good monitors... I have my AKG K240's right now for headphones (although they are kinda broken at the moment so might have to get a new pair). But a set of monitors won't be to far behind when I get the system setup. (and a bit more cash)

So if you could help shine some light on my setup method that would best suit my gear that would really help me make a visual picture in my mind. Thanks for your help!
Actually, I'm reading some not so good reviews on the MAudio USB stuff. That surprises me, because I use their PCI stuff and it's great. The Edirol unit you mentionel is very similar and will do the job. I can't comment on quality or sound as I have no experience.

If you are going to use you Mackie, you can also save a few bucks by getting the Edirol UA-20. Just use the Mackie as the front end- you won't need any mic preamps on the interface that way. BTW- the Edirol takes the place of your soundcard.

I would hook it up something like this-

Hook your monitors to either the CR outputs or the main outputs- either will work and have their pros and cons. Whether you hook the L/R inputs of the Edirol to the Alt 3/4 outputs for recording one source at a time, or to whichever of the CR our main outs you're NOT monitoring on to record an entire mix is just a matter of choice (you can use the tape outs, too- they are usually just a mirror of the Main outs).

Hook the output of the Edirol to either the tape in, or, as I prefer to do it, a stereo channel on the board. You could probably also use an Aux return for this. Now the audio you've already recorded is mixed in the software mixer of Cakewalk and sent to the board, where it is just another stereo pair in the monitor mix.

Anyway, put you vocals and/or guitar on channel 1 and 2, and your midi modules into the stereo channels. You may run into latency issues running that many midi modules on this thing. If so, you can record the parts as audio and mix them that way. Save them as midi, too, so you can edit and re-record them if you need to.

I dig the Midiman 4X4- I use one in my studio. If you have an extra USB port, you can get one of those, too, to expand your midi capability. Once again, I'm not sure how well your laptop will handle that much I/O on the USB ports.

Good luck!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks Axeman. I'll do some more research and try to get everything I need together as best as I can. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later. No doubt I'll be back soon asking more questions.
m-audio usb devices works on usb 1.1 and that means that works slow. You can use only two in or two out in 24bit 96 khz recording. I send them E-mail with question about any new usb 2.0 device and they sad that they won't any usb 2.0 device. I suggest you m-audio firie fire.
And I suggest you good condensator mic for guitar and vocal recording. Shure beta 58 is good mic but only for live gigs. For studio you'll have to buy cond mic.
Thanks for your response Manowar. Don't worry, I know that I need to get a good recording mic. The 58 has been a good recording mic for field work that I have been doing and various interviews etc. Once I get my setup together, I will be looking into some nice condenser mic's. I had my eye on a few Audio-Technica's, but I'll have to see what is hot right now. I'll look into how much a firewire card is for my laptop. Not quite sure what all the requirements are for that.
Look at edirol page. They have some good firewire card too.
I use the Edirol UA 1000 - 10in, 10out - and the quality through this is unreal. The smaller Edirol is soemthing i have not used but i will vouch for the brand. The audio interface acts as an expesive sound card so you would not have to buy or even have another on board card.

Hope that helps a little?