or
Create an account

or

Thread How do you record your guitar?

• 47 replies
  • 21 participants
  • 0 follower
1 How do you record your guitar?
What do you prefer to take the sound of your favorite guitar...
Show first post
Redplanet: Maybe change your pickups. A lot of strat owners use Bill Lawrence (billlawrence.com) and are very happy with them, including myself. They're very quiet and have a little fatter tone. But they're very clear. And they don't cost an arm and a leg.
i find it hard to crucify the strat, i've been a humbucker man pretty much since i started 15 years ago, but the last couple of years i've just fallen in love the strat. i have a mexican deluxe with vintage noiseless pickups fitted to it. apart from needing a neck set up it's brilliant.. i have a marshall jcm2000 dsl 100 head and a line6 flextone hd (mk1) head.

my mate has a cheap squire strat, which plays ok and sounds ok. my local music shop sells a lot of squire stuff, they play ok and sound ok - for the price they're excellent value! anyway........

recording wise (which after all is what this thread is), I find that if you're using a big tube amp like the dsl100 you really need to turn the big mutha up to get a nice tone (obvious choice of the 45 degree sm57). however our band recorded an EP last year and we used 3 different recording methods in the studio:
1. marshall jcm2000 dsl100, stero mics
2. roland jc120, stereo mics
3. line6 flextone hd, stereo di from amp outputs and mic at front.

we had a VERY low budget so we weren't able to change all the guitar. the guitar parts were recorded over 4 sessions, 1st with the marshall, 2nd with the line6, 3rd with the roland and 4th with the line6. the line6, for mine, was the best result. our engineer also loved the line6. she'd never seen or heard of them before hand and after working with it she wanted one.

so my thumbs up, is the line 6 flextone... i've never tried a pod so i dont know what sound you can get out of one of those... and the flextone head is obvously a lot higher priced than the pod.

live sound, the line 6 is ok, i like the models it has and the effects are ok (dont throw away your pedals ladies and gentlemen), big thumbs down for the expensive floorboards (i did get the 4 channel acces board on ebay for an ok price though).... for a smaller venue, it would be just the right choice! but the marshall jcsm2000 dsl100 is just the business for a cranking live gig.. marshall is marshall, marshall will always be marshall and i'm sure a lot of people will agree.

there's my two bobs worth! :)
:D ....i would prefer mic´s. in anyway!!!
Just Put a Sennheiser e609 in front of the Speaker, a sm57 will also work.
A small Diapraghm Condenser behind the Cabinet/Combo and a large Diap. Condenser( i prefer a C414-Buls) next to the E 609!!!!

This works pretty fine, just find out the right position for the mic´s and your Guitar Sound will blow you away!!!

MadMatt
I am really suprised about how many digitech users there are. i personally cant stand the things. they just sound so.... uhhh digital
hence the name i geuss.
my favorite sound is an sm57 at a 45 angle about 4 nches away from a fender stage 100. it gives you a real live sound not soo processed thats my style. I geuss I'm kind of old school. I have also been using an AKG C300B in about the same position and i thought that sounded pretty good.
Its funny, but I really got used to using a digital recorder, and now, my analog machine just seems kinda lifeless. I always feared that my music would sound too sterile if I started using digital, but in fact, just the opposite was true. One thing I have found with my boss recorder is that a strat will sound like a strat, a tele will sound like a tele, and so on. And vocals have no comparison when recorded analog, they sound much richer and fuller recorded digitally.
I use a Fisherman Rare Earth Series pickup.
Top of the line...expensive...but worth it.
so, i see alot of you prefer modulating devices or inputing guitar through the board. using digital processors direct.....and i would just like to throw out there that every single profesional recorded guitar track that you hear is through micing up a cab. it may be more difficult. but, in the long run, it is the only way to go. there are a very few recordings that you will hear with a pod and it is very obvious that thats how it was recorded. sounds like crap. just something to think about. oh, another thing. when you are micing a cab, dont use digital pedals. it just makes the sound sound small and makes every thing worse.
I have just joined the forum and find this debate quite interesting and would like to add my two cents. I used to be a Fender person but then got into G&L guitars. I currently use a G&L ASAT as my main guitar. For a couple of hundred dollars more I believe you get a much better guitar and marginally better pickups. If you are looking to personalize your tone, it seems inevitable that the pickups would eventually have to be changed.

For recording, I find I get good results putting a large diaphram condenser (Rode Nt 1) about 12"-18" from the speaker. I have a Boogie MK III. When our baby is sleeping, I will use a Mesa Boogie Pre-amp. Several people have been quite surprised with the tone I get with this set up. I record with Digi 002 hardware and Use Cubase for Software. Later
1 sm57 jammed into the speakercone of my amp does the trick :)

sometimes i'll mic up with the 57 and record another channel from the pre out of the amp direct throuh my mixer with a different fx loop, with maybe a heavy reverb but at a very low level comparedto the mic'd guitar channel, for a ambience....goodfor that kinda Brian Eno meets Eric Clapton blues stuff
I record my guitars by placing an Sm57 right up aganist the cone of the amp then another Sm57 about half a metre away from the cone then a room mic eg: my Rode NT2, 3 metres away from the amp. All are recorded onto 3 different tracks with the close mic panned about 60% left, the secound mic panned 50% right and the room mic dead centre.
This get my guitars sounding full and huge. :)