or
Create an account

or

Thread How do you record your guitar?

• 47 replies
  • 21 participants
  • 0 follower
1 How do you record your guitar?
What do you prefer to take the sound of your favorite guitar...
Show first post
My Strat is a 95 MIM, 100% stock. I chose it carefully. My tone is my own, and is as mucha function of my playing as it is my hardware.

Some folks view a guitar as an end unto itself. While I am very fond of my guitar, it is a tool. I consider myself a musician first and a guitar player second. The Strat is my tool of choice to facilitate my musicianship.

The comments above hold true for all mass produced instruments. Although mass produced, each one has it's own character. You have to find one that suits you. Why bother with a Strat? Because of the wonderful sound they are capable of. Les Pauls are a different tone. Tele's are different, too. So are hollowbodies. I chose the Strat because no other instrument in the world makes the sound it does. And it is the tone I wanted, that suited my musical expression.

Those who are focused on their guitar as an end unto itself have missed the boat.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I can respect your feelings about the Strat, but I just think that they are an over-priced piece of crap. Especially when you consider that you can pick up a Squire for around $200 (US) that's equal to it. Of course after changing out the pickups and the like, you've added another $300 to it. As for Gibsons, I've given up on them. WAY over-priced! Epiphones are ok, but even they are getting too expensive.
Oh, by the way NOFUNEVER, Change your saddles on the epi. They're a little softer then the Gibson saddles, and will start eating the strings. (I discovered that thru a G400 that just ate strings like candy. Later
If you want an UNBELIEVABLE Les Paul copy, try an Agile. I got an LP Goldtop with really good sounding P90's for $249.00. Looks and plays like the real deal, and thbe workmanship on it is better than my new Gibson FlyingV.
I paid $350 for my Fender strat with a maple neck (in 2002). I have been playing guitar since 1964. I used to play mainly the fat hollowbodies, like Gibson 175's, L5's, Johnny Smith etc. But I switched to my strat, Ibanez AS80 (like a 335) and a Washburn Nuno.
The only thing I changed on my strat was the pickups. I put Bill Lawrence in it because I didn't want the annoying hum. BUT...when I play jazz, I guarantee you that you would not know I was playing a strat....through a Peavey Classic 50 410.
(This is for the guy who said he doesn't like strats and everytime you hear a strat you can tell it's a strat.)
After playing the hollowbodies most of my life, I appreciate the guitars I have now. Besides, it has nothing to do with the guitar you have. What matters is how you play it and make it sound.
Bluejazz-

Good to see you, bro!

It's funny- I always LIKED that you could tell that a Strat was a Strat!! :lol:
Hey Axeman! I came to this forum because of your recommendation.
Notice I said when I play "jazz" that you can't tell it was a strat.
I do a Pat Martino tone (bassy) that sounds like a humbucker or hollowbody. However, I do get a strat sound when I play it normally. The Bill Lawrence pickups are not "true" single coils. They do sound statty, but they have a little fatter tone.
My point was that the strat is a very versatile instrument, which is what drew me to it. You can get a fat tone when you play around with it and your amp, or you can get your traditional strat sound.
I was contrasting the comment the one guy said about how a strat always sounds like a strat.
My strat sounds like a strat when I want it to. But it sounds different when I want it to.
Hi Bluejazz-

Glad you came buy. My comment about a Strat sound wasn't directed at you in particular. In fact, it wasn't even meant as a criticism!! I just thought it was ironic that mlr_pa was underwhelmed that a Strat always sounded like one, and that one of the things that drew me to them was the generally recognizable sound!!

You are right though, if you get to playing around with your amp and tone controls, you can get a lot of sounds out of one that you wouldn't immediately recognize as coming from a Strat.
My comment was also directed towards mlr_pa. A lot of people play strats to get that strat sound. And it's true: when you hear a strat, it sounds like a strat because that's what people buy them for.
I just wanted to let mlr_pa know that I too own a strat, and it is really versatile. It doesn't HAVE to sound like a strat.
Just about any guitar can be altered to sound different than what it is.
For example, I also own a Washburn Nuno. It originally came with 2 humbuckers. I put a couple of Bill Lawrence humbuckers in it and put a split coil on them. Now, when I put the toggle switch between the two pickups and have them on single coil, the guitar sounds more like a strat than my strat does.
But I can also make the Nuno sound like a guitar with humbuckers. So as I was telling him, it's not the guitar; it's the player and what he/she does with it.
Depends on the tune and what sound I'm going after.

J Station for crystal clean or processed sounds.
SM57 on Marshall 1x12 combo or driving an external 4x12 for more natural (tube) light distortion and classic rock tones

George
alright already, I'm gettin my Strat out of the closet and I'm gonna see if maybe after all these years I like it better, are yall happy now 8) 8) I guess the main reason I never reall used the strat a whole lot is because I never liked the neck pick-up tone it had, but I've got a lot of different equipment now, so maybe it'll be different.