or
Create an account

or

Thread How do you record your guitar?

• 47 replies
  • 21 participants
  • 0 follower
1 How do you record your guitar?
What do you prefer to take the sound of your favorite guitar...
I use a Pod.. I realy prefer recording with modeling devices...
I spent so much time setting up the mic position befor I discovered the Pod... It's interesting to try new methodes whith different mics an ddifferent amps... but it's so easy to get a perfect sound with a pod or equivalent.
But for live condition, I always use tube amp ;-) !!!!
Hmm... It's kinda a matter of taste and style isn't it? I mean, If I'm doing something soft and resonably unprocessed, I'll mic the amp. More rock styled, then my Digitech rp3 thru the mixer. And if really bored, a three way combo. (DI, mic, and processing software.) so again, I think it's amatter of tasteand style. Later
Hello mlr_pa, I totally agree!!!

I think it depends the style you're playing, and it depends the way you work. Personally I really prefer working with headphones for recording, but this is true that I haven't the same feeling than when I'm facing a 4x12 ;-)
But a detail: I live in an appartment, and my neighbours also prefer when I'm playing without amp ;-)

What mic do you use? And do you have a special position for the mic?
Hey there Krowms.
Well, 15 years ago, I lived in a more sound proofed apartment/condo building, so what I used to do was to place my Oliver in the bathroom with a Shure sm57 6" away from the 15" speaker at a 45 degree angle. A second mic, again a sm57, was placed 7 feet or so away on the floor angled upwards towards the speaker. A third mic, a shure sm58, was as far away as possible, and hung from the ceiling. I recorded 3 tracks as hot as possible, then mixed down to a single track. (My neighbors HATED me. :D )
Today though, since I live in a smaller apartment, I use a single sm57 clone, (I'm poor also. :( ) around 6" away and at a 45 degrees or so from the Marlboro's 10" speaker. But since I've gotten so used to recording with headphones, I haven't done that in a while. I've really come to love the digitech RP-3 for recording, and everything else. Hope that answers your query.
Since I got back into recording after a few years away from it, I use nothing but a modeling device. Years ago, I did it the only way you could, mic in front of cab, and honestly, when I got back into it, I really dreaded the thought of spending so much time setting up mics. Fortunately, I bought a Boss br-532, and I can truthfully say, I can get better tone out of it than when I usta mic my amps. I really only use one setting for the majority of what I do, the JAZZ setting. I can add a few of the built in effects, and get a lot of mileage out of it, plus I always go through a RAT pedal, then into the BR. I can play squeaky clean, or really dirty with that set up alone. It has always seemed to me that effects/modeler units for guitar have about 95% useless crap, but with POD, V-AMP, and several others that I have used, the 5% good stuff makes them very worthwile.
I have to agree with you about the ratio of crap to usefullness on most effect/modelers! In my biased view, Digitech is the best though. Decent amp cabs, and somewhat realistic, with good effects. It has an EQ that actually works! (Unlike ZOOM crap.) A question though; I'm not familiar with the Boss br-532. How is it, how much, and how new??? Later.
i have been experimenting with this for a while. i first started mic'ing my marshall valvestate. i got pretty good tone and sound but i had to turn it up pretty loud to get a decent bass response from my speakers. then i just tried running line out into my board. i am not even going to go into the horror i witnessed. then i found the best little amp sim software that i have seen. it is made by izotope and is called Trash. i dont think there is anything else like it out there. i find that i get the best sound from running strait from guitar to my tube pre by presonus then strait to the board. no eq from the board or anything, just as flat a sound as i can get. i get great results out of this plug in. i dont think i will ever go back to mic'ing.
https://www.izotope.com

Quote: i have been experimenting with this for a while. i first started mic'ing my marshall valvestate. i got pretty good tone and sound but i had to turn it up pretty loud to get a decent bass response from my speakers. then i just tried running line out into my board. i am not even going to go into the horror i witnessed. then i found the best little amp sim software that i have seen. it is made by izotope and is called Trash. i dont think there is anything else like it out there. i find that i get the best sound from running strait from guitar to my tube pre by presonus then strait to the board. no eq from the board or anything, just as flat a sound as i can get. i get great results out of this plug in. i dont think i will ever go back to mic'ing.
https://www.izotope.com

Yeah!!! This is the first time I see this plugin!!! I will try it asap!!(but I'm at work now ;-))
Do you made a comparative test between different modeling amp? It could be a great idea to realise a test, don't you think? I own a Pod Xt and Amplitube so I can process a riff with this two amp sim...
i would make a comparitive test but unfortunatly i do not own any other amp sims anymore. i used to have the alien connections re-valver and it was ok but Trash is so much better so i got rid of all my other amp sims.
i can tell that this has the most realistic sound of any that i have tried. i have thrown my marshall in the closet because of it. i could probably make a comparison with the basic cakewalk amp sim but that one is horribly inaccurate.