or
Create an account

or

Thread Help selecting the proper monitors and sub woofer.

• 22 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Help selecting the proper monitors and sub woofer.
I guess first it would help to read my post from here, http://forum.studioathome.com/viewtopic.php?pid=18788#p18788

And so, after that is read, I will tell you what I am thinking of.

As a person that loves music, and better yet, loves LOUD music, I am looking for a system that would blow my ears out :)

Just to stay within budget for now, I was thinking about the KRK [RP-8]'s for my monitors. http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp8.asp

And the KRK [RP-10]'s for my sub woofer.
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp10s.asp

This is the first speaker system I will have. My budget right now is about 600$ for speakers, and 400$ for the sub woofer.

Also, let me get this out there, I will NOT be needing a stereo. I am just going to have these hooked up to my computer because that is what I run all my music off of. Let me know what you think, please.

I am looking to getting these parts as soon as 2 weeks, depending on the response time of these forums :P

Thanks again!

-Bren
Show first post
okay ill do that.

Active means they are self powerd.

Passive means they nead a power amp.

ill pick out some good moniters for you.
whats your price range?

%1$s a écrit these are good active moniters:

http://www.absolutemusicsolutions.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=missm6a&source=Froogle

and sub:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3190&aid=15036

any help?

those look good. my price range on studio monitors are prolly about 600$ and I realy do want THE BEST I can get for that. Are those monitors VERY good? Cuz thats what Im lookin for, I dont settle for just good quality, if your gonna get something, might as well make it count ;]

But yes, I do need active.

Can I get the frequency range on those pieces and some specs, I cant find them on that site.

Also goes along with the sub woofer. I want teh BEST ^_^

Any info on a kind of sound card I should get to go along with my speakers/sub? Im gonna need one because I have the ,music playing from my computer (im not using a stereo). My price range on that is probobly about 400$.

Thanks for all your help, bro. I realy appreciate it everyone, thank you all.
if your really stuck contact this guy (he works for Sound On Sound)

paulwhite@paulwhite.org.uk

he knows his stuff!

%1$s a écrit if your really stuck contact this guy (he works for Sound On Sound)

paulwhite@paulwhite.org.uk

he knows his stuff!

I would, but I realy dont want to take up his time :/

I just need a link or something to the best monitors i can get for 400- and subwoofer for 400- and an audio card for 400-

:)
You could try Yamaha HS50m with HS10 sub, some details can be found here. Personally, I favor monitors with 8" woofers, but that's just me.

For soundcards based on your budget, maybe the Presonus Firepod, Focusrite Saffire, Delta 1010LT or Echo Audiofire8 from here - 3 firewire audio interfaces and one pci audiocard to choose from. The Saffire only has 2 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs plus s.pdif I/O, but the rest have full 8 analog I/O.

%1$s a écrit You could try Yamaha HS50m with HS10 sub, some details can be found here. Personally, I favor monitors with 8" woofers, but that's just me.

For soundcards based on your budget, maybe the Presonus Firepod, Focusrite Saffire, Delta 1010LT or Echo Audiofire8 from here - 3 firewire audio interfaces and one pci audiocard to choose from. The Saffire only has 2 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs plus s.pdif I/O, but the rest have full 8 analog I/O.

Hmm, that YAMAHA pack looks nice, Id like to see the specs and frequency range on it, and 120 watts is good.

But as for audio card, I dont need an audio card or anything for mixing or mic inputer, or studio stuff or anything, I just want something good to have my speakers/sub connected to that will give really nice sound quality.

%1$s a écrit Hmm, that YAMAHA pack looks nice, Id like to see the specs and frequency range on it, and 120 watts is good.

Specs and frequency curves can tell a lot about the monitor, but the real test is in listening to it. Most stores will have working setups and listening rooms where you can audition monitors. I suggest bringing along cds of songs in the genre you will be listening to plus a few others that have a wide dynamic range, going from soft to loud. Often, these listening test will reveal qualities you like (or don't like) about a particular monitor. Don't rely on the store's in-house music selections; it will ALWAYS make the monitor sound good. What you want to hear are a monitor's flaws, if it has any, as well as design quirks such inaccesible power switches and trim settings, and that kinda stuff.

%1$s a écrit I want to hook an Audigy 4 to an external AMP ... which then supplies 2 monitors + sub ... through Optical Out ?
Or SPDIF Out

The Roland DM-20s are the only monitors I know of that have optical and coaxial digital inputs, no sub unfortunately. Most monitor manufacturers prefer systems with balanced inputs to be connected to your sound system's analog balanced outputs, leaving the quality of D/A conversion to your sound system instead of the monitor. If you want to know how important D/A conversion is, try to google the Benchmark DAC-1.