or
Create an account

or

Thread Bought a mixer and mic on a whim - are they any good?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Bought a mixer and mic on a whim - are they any good?
Hey all,
Im an eager guitar/piano/singer and ive recently decided to record some of my work. My budget is fairly small so I dont expect professional quality recording, just as good as I can get.

On a whim I went and bought the following items:

Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer
Behringer B-1 Condensor Microphone

I am recording on to my laptop using Cubase Studio 4.

My question is: are the mixing deck and mic mentioned above good for the job of recording an acoustic guitar and vocals? Further would it be a good idea to use condensor mic for the guitar and get a seperate dynamic mic for the vocals, or would some other setup be better?

Many thanks in advance,
AM.
Some people will tell you that Behringer is no good and that no serious musician owns their stuff. But the important thing is to get the most out of your equipment. and whatever works....works!

for recording it's probably better to use condenser mics for both guitar and vocals. if your mic is versatile enough, or if you don't have any more money, then use the mic you already have for both. once again, you need to get the most out of your gear, so experiment as much as possible with various mic positioning and placement and mixer settings.