or
Create an account

or

Thread Choosing a vocal mic / suggestions?

• 6 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Choosing a vocal mic / suggestions?
I'm in the process of looking for a vocal mic for recording and have basically narrowed it down to these three (within my price range):
- AKG C2000B ($200)
- AKG C3000B ($300)
- Audio Technica AT3035 ($200)

My question is: What would you recommend? And is the C2000B going to be worth the extra hundred bucks? Is there any other mic for $200-300 that is better in your opinion?

I'm going to probably be using it for vocals, acoustic, and the like. Maybe on electric guitar and/or bass depending on how it would sound.
These are all nice microphones. The final decision is more a matter of taste. My personla choice would be the Audio Technica. I find the two AKG's to be a little harsh in the high frequencies. You should be able to use any of these microphones for both guitar and vocals. Yet I would not recommend them for close miking an electric guitar amp.
I like these mics, but if you are looking for something with similar features and a little cheaper check out the Behringer B2 Pro

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=B-2PRO&lang=ENG&CFID=1162250&CFTOKEN=36111537

I found these for less than $150 on ebay
I found the B2 at $149 at the following store.
https://www.zzounds.com/a--303779/item--BEHB2PRO
yes gawain you are right... it sells for $149 at zzounds... but I was actually referring to $150 Canadian. Either way, it's still a pretty good deal for the mic.
I agree that the AKG units are a little upper middy.
'
It depends on your voice really. No mic is good for everyone.
What is your voice sound like....Steve Tyler or Mel Torme?
The key is to try and listen to them and see if you like them. Or better yet my local store usually allows me to bring home a number of units and try with my own system for a few days and return whatever I don't like.

Check out Studio Project B1 - versatile and cheap. I've seen a guy review on the B1 and the guy prefer it over the AT you mentioned.

Bottomline: you've gotta try it, coz reviews are as good as they're on paper.

Ernest