or
Create an account

or

Thread Comments about Making Equalization Work For You

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about Making Equalization Work For You
Equalization is one of the most important and powerful tools in the recording enthusiast’s arsenal, yet too many people adjust equalization with their eyes – not their ears. For example, one time after doing a mix, I noticed the client writing down all the EQ settings I had made. When I asked why, he said it was because he liked the EQ and wanted to use the same settings on these instruments in future mixes.

Read the article

This thread has been created following the publication of an article. Please post your comments about the article in here.

icon_aime.gifGreat article! It explained a lot all of my Engineering issues involving:

"There are three main applications for EQ:

1. Problem-solving
  2. Emphasizing or de-emphasizing an instrument in a mix
  3. Altering a sound’s personality"

As Craig Anderton on wrote on.

I use Power Tracks Pro & I am very happy with what I'm doing & learning so- not bashing the product- it's great for it's purpose! I learned about using EQ's to "Roll Off" but did not know the "Why?" or "When" to use it. Thus, some tracks were nearly Pro-impressive & others, broadcasts my entry-level Engineer skills. icon_redface.gif

I read & use the 3T method : Try, Tweak, Test! Craig's article gave me leaps & bounds w/ template ideas for EQ use, error debugging & creative attempts.

My only quirk w/ the article (I know. It's my inexperience not Craig's writing!) is I don't know  the meaning of "a quarter-octave". icon_redface.gif So, I must return to my "3Ts" & discover how to "narrow" the Bandwidth as he wrote off using my 1K Multimedia TRackS EQ. Again, thanks for a great article Craig! icon_lol.gif

-MoBuc

-Mo Buc "...and 'Everyday-life' changes, Sets get re-arranges, and ALL the players change costumes...", "New Day" by Geo Benson (quote is Shakespear par-phrase)

icon_idea.gifEureka! I've a little better understanding of Frequency Octaves & "emphasizing/de-emphasizing" instruments. A little Google-ing, a little home lab & a lot of 3Ts. I feel like I'm in grade school & just got promoted to my next higher grade! icon_lol.gif

Your article plugged in the missing links in my head. Now, I know how to use the Graphic EQs along w/Dynamics in my Power Tracks Pro and my 1k TRackS Para-EQ Pluggin and my Shelf & very granular Para EQ from my E-MU 1212M Audio interface!  Thanks again for the insight!

-MoBuc

-Mo Buc "...and 'Everyday-life' changes, Sets get re-arranges, and ALL the players change costumes...", "New Day" by Geo Benson (quote is Shakespear par-phrase)

Cool!  Glad the article was of great service to you! mrgreen