Echo Layla
Images
1/5

Thread Echo Layla

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Echo Layla
I just bought a used Echo Layla 20-bit sound card. Can anyone tell me the difference between 20 and 24 bit cards? I am I at any disadvantage having a 20-bit card? Can anyone explain "bit theory" to me? I am lost.
Tweakheadz should be able to clarify this for you.

While the Layla was quite good when it came out, all the newer models now support 24 bits. Bear in mind that a higher bit rate also means a larger audio file sizes. You should check out whether the Layla is compatible with your system, I have just read posts in other forums of Echo products having some compatibility/driver issues.
The bit depth refers basically to how many 0's and 1's are used in each sample. If you sample at 44.1 Khz you are sampling a waveform 44,100 times per second, that will not change. If you use 20 bit depth, there is less information about each individual sample than if you sampled it at 24 bit depth.

The zero's stand for a single piece of information about each individual sample. There are 44,100 sets of this type of information every second at 44.1 Khz.
20 bit- 00000000000000000000
24 bit- 000000000000000000000000

With the above example, you can see why the higher the sample rate and bit depth, the bigger the file size. Let me know if that clears anything up. Hope I could help.
So I am losing quality recording at 20-bits rather than 24? Is the difference noticeable?
I can hear the difference between 20 and 24 bit depth. It's not a big difference, but it shoes up as more "air" or "depth" to the sound.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
No, the different is not at all noticable. If it is, you're really awesome. The only time it really comes in to play is when using a lot of effects, or defintely when using samples.