Create an account

or

Thread New to miking drums, need assistance

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 New to miking drums, need assistance
Hello all. Here is how I've set everything up: https://imgur.com/a/84koR

My microphones are a beta 52 for the kick, ported reso head, an SM57 on my snare (on the batter side), and a pretty cheap pyle overhead mic above the crash, ride and floor tom.

The setup is in a tiny room with drywall and concrete walls. One window is about 30cm behind while another window is about 2 meters to the left. The floors are carpet.

All microphones record into a behringer Xenyx 1002B. Output is left and right 1/4" into both inputs on a scarlet 2i2, played into logix left and right, put together in one track.

Above all, my biggest problem is lack of thump in the kick. What should I change?
Experiment with turning the the kick mic so it's off axis to see how that affects things. You could also try removing the front drum head and varying the mic positioning more radically to see if you get a tone you like better. If you can find a way to do it, replacing the cheap overhead mic with a better quality stereo pair or stereo mic will help not only the kick drum, but the overall sound. In a 3-mic setup, the overhead is going to impact the sound a lot, and if it's a cheap mic, it will probably not be a positive impact.

[ Post last edited on 09/24/2014 at 14:17:49 ]

Quote from Mike:
replacing the cheap overhead mic with a better quality stereo pair or stereo mic will help not only the kick drum, but the overall sound. In a 3-mic setup, the overhead is going to impact the sound a lot, and if it's a cheap mic, it will probably not be a positive impact.

I absolutely agree. I would consider an Oktava MK-012. You can find them used for under $200 or brand new for under $300. What cheap overhead are you using anyway?