or
Create an account

or

Thread field recording

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 field recording
anyone have a portable setup that they use for recording gigs/concerts or sounds of the great outside of the studio world (NATURE!)....just curious

im looking into getting a creative nomad3 with a denecke ad-20 preamp, and somekinda stereo mic eventually....... :)

so far i have no way of recording outside my basement :(
I think most pro foley guys use Nagra DAT machines.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote: anyone have a portable setup that they use for recording gigs/concerts or sounds of the great outside of the studio world (NATURE!)....just curious

im looking into getting a creative nomad3 with a denecke ad-20 preamp, and somekinda stereo mic eventually....... :)

so far i have no way of recording outside my basement :(

Depends on what your budget is. When I do live 2-track stuff, I use a Masterlink and at times put a pair of RNC 1733 compressors in the path.

On a budget, Behringer ECM8000 omni-directional mics are okay. I've used these for ambient sounds and they worked good. They cost $40 each.

I tried a Rode NT4 (the mic with the x-y stereo caps) and it worked for some live concert recording. It was easy to setup as you didn't have to spend time with mic placement. Just drop it in the right spot, connect, and go.

If you can, rent a Masterlink or CD-R and use a DAT as a backup. But don't limit yourself, you may end up liking the DAT's sound better. For prosumer purposes the Masterlink will give you more options later, with some processing and burning capabilities a standalone DAT won't give you. You can rent a Masterlink for cheap too.

In the ultra-low budget category, I recommend something like a Sharp MiniDisc recorder fed by the above mics. Or worst case, get a Sony mini condensor mic. I prefer Sharp of Sony MD's because they give you more flexibility with recording levels, and have better sounding converters (last time I used them).

Hope this helps.
ya nagra is popular....i used to have a shitty MD recorder, broken now.....

i think DAT is a thing of the past, recording direct to hardrive recorder is what im leaning towards...either that or a pro-md recorder....well maybe not, too much compression in those maybe...