or
Create an account

or

Thread Reply appreciated - advice for beginner

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion Reply appreciated - advice for beginner
Well, I'm not a true beginner - have dabbled with sound recording over many years, but now looking to invest in a better setup (have got the PC sorted - now the designated sound I/O device and software).

I'm looking at the M-Audio 1814 (so can record a live drum-kit down the track) and regarding software I'm keen on Adobe (Audition 3). What is the known compatability / problems / limitations between Adobe Audition and M-Audio devices?

(I know someone's going to suggest use ProTools instead - and I may consider that - but I have a budget to keep to and will get student price on Adobe).

~Luke :cool:
Hey Luke. I'm not going to suggest Pro Tools because guess what, it's really hard to use, really expensive to buy and only supports certain hardware.

Cool Edits makers Syntrillium were brought out by Adobe in or about 2003. They then re-released as Adobe Audition. When I went to Radio School, I was trained to use this program as my primary audio editor/ recorder etc and then we'd export it to SawPlus (multi-track editor) to mix down. Adobe Audition has all of Cool Edits features. It's really easy to use. Good effects. Shares Microsoft short cut keys and basically you can use it straight out of the box.

In terms of "known issues" I don't know of any. M-Audio is like Behringer. It started by making copies of products produced by well known companies like Tascam, Mackie and so forth. They were very good at it and started doing their own thing. M-Audio products are basically made to be used within all the major software programs.

When you’re setting up your studio, ya'll wanna be thinking about midi. As most controllers come with software this will save you money. The software most commonly bundled is limited editions of Sonar and/ or Cubase sometimes even Abelton Live Lite (this is bundled with the 1814). A limited edition of Cubase has more value then Adobe Audition plus the option of upgrading at a reduced price when you have money. Lest not forget that Cubase was industry standard ten years ago therefore has great support, dedicated followers and is 2nd only to Pro Tools.

The 1814 is very expensive because it is compatible with Pro Tools. If ya'll don't need it to be then don't pay for it. Find something else.

You have a couple of alternatives. Firstly, you can purchase a mixing desk that has usb/ firewire compatibility. Plug it in and go. The DAW will recognize it. It will come with EQ controls and perhaps an FX unit. It will also have a Preamp for the mics and phantom power if you’re going to be using a condenser.

A cheaper way of setting up your studio is to buy a pci card and connect an analogue mixer. Basically your outs from your desk connect to the pci and vice -versa.

You don't need to buy this new either. I would say new for the pci card so you get support but jump on e-bay and buy a 2nd hand mixer and midi controller. People throw them away because they want newer and better or just can't use em. The 1814 is $599 new. You could do both options new for this price plus cables and a couple of mics.

On the issue of mics. If ya'll recording drums you need to be really careful. If they're not digital, they'll bleed. You need to be spending money on proper mics + stands which actually cost you major $$$. If I was advising you, I would save the money your going to be spending on Adobe Audition, buy a midi controller for the half the price, save the money by buying a mixing desk and spend that a good set of mics as bleed is very hard to fix.

F.Y.I - I run Pro Tools but I'm trained. I also have Cubase, sonar, adobe audition and of course, my Cool Edit - yey for me!

Hope ya'll have fun. Let's hear about what you settle on.
OK, my query about the 1814 (or similar, e.g. PreSonus Firepod (now FP-10)) was to have multiple real inputs for live drums.
As you've said, spill may be a significant issue without spending loads on decent mic setup.
You're suggestion of mixing desks and "set" of mics is going to way blow out the budget.

So, I have bought Adobe Audition 3. Used their free unrestricted 30 day trial, and very impressed.
I think I'll stick with manually constructed drum (.mid) tracks, and layer live instruments and vocals with a borrowed M-Audio MobilePre USB.
Have SM-57, SM-58, and decent Marshall amp for such purposes.

When I want to re-record with full kit, I'll hire a studio to just do drums.