or
Create an account

or

Thread New studio gear, opinions and options

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion New studio gear, opinions and options
i was searching the internets about home recording and happened upon this web site. i figured i would get some feedback about the new setup i plan on purchasing at the end of the summer.

What I want to get:

iMac (decked out as much as possible.)
Logic Pro 7.2
Presonus Firepod
2 sm57s
Shure Drum mic kit (PG52 kick drum mic, 3 PG56 snare/tom mics, 2 PG81)
KRK RP-5 Studio Monitors

what i have:

Powerbook G4 1 gig RAM
Logic Express
Reason 3
Presonus Firebox
sm57
AKG D550
AKG Perception 100

I plan on doing good sounding demo work for my band, and possibly other bands in my basement set up. the usual guitar, bass, drums type bands... i would like to be able to work with other types of groups too at some point but for now it would more than likely be rock/indie bands.

So, what im wondering is what are some alternative setups or options i should look at before i throw down some money on a new setup? Any firewire or usb mixing boards i should look at? Other mid range priced mics? headphones? rack units that would work with the firepod? just looking for some opinions so i get the best i can for my money.
I wouldn't use the i mac. Logic Pro is very picky on ram, if you are planning to get a good working mac get G5 or if you're going for laptop get macbook pro. I saw peole run logic express on i mac...painful. SM's are always good choice, but they're hi or hi-mid mics, if you want to get a proper sound out of acoustic gutar get Rode NT-1 A, 120 $. Sweet mic for picking up the low end.
KRKs are great, check out Genelecs aswell, good, costs like KRK. Your personal preference. Headphones, hmmm i would buy Beyer Dynamics 990 pro's. Good and completely frequency flat.
This is my opinion on what you could do. Consider thing well when it comes to audion coz in the end its just a personal preference