Blackstar Amplification Series One 45
Blackstar Amplification Series One 45
yoTrakkz yoTrakkz

« nice amp »

Published on 11/08/11 at 23:23
I originally bought the Blackstar Amp Series as a backup amp for my Peavey Classic 30 (EL34 tube amp). I tried a Fender Mustang III (same price), but wasn't as impressed - especially with the cleaner sounds. It also has only 2-button or 4-button footswitches. I didn't want to buy a 60 lb tube amp.

This is pretty easy to lug around at only 36 lbs - lighter than my Peavey. I've had the Blackstar for about two weeks now and am just getting to the point where I love it. It takes some tweaking of the presets to find "your" sounds. I've used it on about 4 gigs so far. The first gig, I just used it in manual mode with my regular pedalboard and it worked OK - no problems, and I actually got some nice compliments on the tone.

Then I started using it with the FBV Express and it was even better, but I was using two pedalboards, so I upgraded the FBV Mk II Express to the Shortboard. Now, I'm really impressed. I no longer need my other pedalboard (which cost $300) and the FBV Shortboard doesn't require A/C or batteries. BTW, this amp has some balls - louder than you'd think based on it's size. It's also "upgradable", as I downloaded new firmware which gave me about 4 or 5 additional kinds of reverbs and who knows what else.

My only complaint is that the master volume control seems to have 80% of the gain between 8 and 10 o'clock on the control. Not much gain is available after the 10 o'clock position. It should be more linear. This amp will replace a pedalboard AND an amp for $500 ($300 for the amp + $200 for the Shortboard). So far, I'm in no hurry to get my Blackstar amp back - I'm getting spoiled. It's a really versatile amp.