I just registered only to say:I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM!
I mean, it really sucks, but at least now i know it's not just me.
- Surface Pro 3 (up to date)
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i/20 2nd generation
- Zoom Q8
(2.04, so the newest Firmware)
First i was using OBS because i want to live stream and i thought the crackling might be caused by OBS. Managed to narrow it down to the Q8
with my Scarlett being the issue. As you said, using the internal audio doesn't cause any crackling.
Unfortunately i haven't found any solution yet, but i would like to share at least what i've already tried:
- Connect the Q8 to the laptop and the Focusrite to the Surface Dock and vice versa
- Used the battery instead of the laptop to "charge" the Q8 while in use as webcam
- Used one wallplug for the surface deck in the cellar where i am and a 50m cable from the garage upstairs to the Focusrite (and vice versa) just to check if it's the statics (it's not, dah!)
- Change the Audio definition in for the Focusrite input or output in Windows Audio Settings to lower Standards (16bit, etc.)
Googling is not that easy, as the crackling noise can be described as static noise, crack(l)ing noise, stottering, interruptions, lagging, etc. So let's hope we find a solution soon...
I remember having some issues once with an interface and Youtube-Videos, but i'm not sure if it was with my focusrite.