or
Create an account

or

Thread Connecting stereo piano to the 2i2

• 6 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Connecting stereo piano to the 2i2
I want to use my new 2i2 basically as an external sound card. I am using Band In A Box on my laptop and the 2i2 works great with the computer sound going to two powered speakers via the rear line out connections. I have also tried connecting the L and R audio out connections from my Yamaha CP4 keyboard to the front two connections on the 2i2 and the usual great Yamaha stereo pianos sound terrible. It is the same whether I listen through the speakers or through phones plugged into the 2i2. I am using 1/4" TS connectors but using TRS is the same.

I know from previous experience that what I am hearing is the L and R piano stereo signals being combined to mono. It sounds great when I listen with phones directly plugged into the piano or connect the piano directly to the speakers. I thought it might be something to do with how the computer is set up so I tried disabling both in and out computer drivers and it makes no difference.

Does the 2i2 combine the L and R inputs or is there another reason?

Thanks
Tony
Hi,

Keep some things in mind here.
Interfaces are just banks with mono preamps connected to stereo dacs as followed

1 - L
2 - R
(3) - L
(4) - R
(X) - L
(Y) - R

When channel one reaches the daw it will be mono with a panpot if you have selected a mono track.

When channel one reaches the daw it will be automatically on the left if you havr selected a stereo track.

Now the headphone isue.

The same happens in the softmixer.
The softmixer standard is set to mono and your incoming signal of the left input gets a panpot with is set center and thus will be heard over both left and right speaker.

Same happens with the right input. So you will be hearing it mono. It combines the 2 input signals.

Go to the interface softmix and select the button with the 2 circles next to the 2 pfl buttons of channel 1 and 2. The softmixer is now set as stereo input. Channel 1 will be on the left and channel 2 on the right.

If you experience more problem's or i haven't be clear enough. Please let me know

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 01/31/2016 at 00:40:53 ]

Thanks you for your response

This is going to sound very basic.....

I wasn't planning to do any recording or use a DAW or any other audio software other than Band In A Box.
What is the "interface softmix" I thought it might the Scarlett Mixer but I see it doesn't work with the 2i2.

As I said in my post, I was hoping to use the 2i2 just as an external sound card with my piano plugged into the front inputs and it would act just like a mixer. Perhaps it's not as simple as that? What else do I have to do?

Tony
Sorry for providing bad information.
I was expecting that ever scarlett worked with the scarlett mixcontrol.

I have no idea how to change the settings then.
Perhaps the nice boys of focusrite on this board ( simon/david) can help you further.

I think, what you want might work However there is a possibility that it might not...

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 01/31/2016 at 08:28:12 ]

Hi TonyW3026,

Sorry for the delayed response as I somehow missed your post.

The Scarlett 2i2 does not have standalone capabilities as it will need to successfully connect to the audio driver to function properly.

If you are looking for the next Scarlett unit in the range that can function in standalone, that will be the 6i6:
https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6

I hope this helps to clarify things a bit!

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Hi David, thanks for the reply

Your explanation is a worded a little differently from the one I received from Will Kent in tech support which fits my experience exactly.....

"Hi Tony,
Thanks for the email,
When you use the direct monitor feature on the 2i2, your input signals will be summed to mono through both the the headphone and monitor outputs. When you monitor the audio through your daw software you will be able to record and monitor the input audio in stereo, with the direct monitor off.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Best Regards, --
Will Kent // Focusrite Technical Support"

I have to wonder why Focusrite would provide two front inputs for a single stereo or two mono instruments and then sum the two inputs to mono when you want to monitor them via the front or rear outputs. Why not keep them separate? With a mono instrument like a guitar it makes no difference but a stereo piano sounds terrible. It's amazing how many manufacturers don't realize the effect of summing a stereo piano to mono. Having said that this discussion is academic because in my case I input and monitor my piano at a mixer and don't go through the 2i2 and I'm happy with the 2i2 for the purpose I use it.

Regards
Tony

[ Post last edited on 02/13/2016 at 14:58:49 ]

Hi Tony,

Typically, someone will use the outputs of their Scarlett interface to provide a stereo mix of their recorded session (or general music playback), as opposed to expect each input to be sent to directly to its corresponding output. If someone wished to pan each input hard left/right within their session, then this would achieve what you're looking to do. The model up from the 2i2, the 2i4, allows you to tell the unit to treat each input as left/right using the Stereo/Mono switch on the front of the unit. Similarly, our Scarlett units that utilise the Mix Control software (6i6, 18i8, 18i20) allow you to route the inputs and outputs in whichever way you see fit.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support