Eventide Space
Eventide Space

Reverb for Guitar from Eventide belonging to the Factor series.

James... James...

« Think of it as a library of verb »

Published on 12/23/11 at 20:19
This is a basically a pedal version of a high end Eventide rack unit. Has 12 different programs to choose from. Here's the feature set:

Wide variety of spatial effects including basic reverbs, delays, and unique combination effects
Studio-quality sound
Compatible with any source material - solo instruments, drums, vocals, or complete mixes
Software upgradable via USB 2.0
MIDI control via USB or MIDI in/out/thru
Instant program change
Realtime control with 10 knobs, MIDI, or optional expression pedal
Tap tempo and MIDI clock sync
100 factory presets, unlimited through MIDI
True analog bypass
Rugged, cast metal construction
Reliable metal footswitches for instant preset access
Mono or stereo operation
Guitar or line level inputs and outputs
Programmable HotSwitch

I have the Timefactor and the modfactor which are pretty much the same layout. I really like the way these react in alive setting. Typically what I do is assign a bank for each song and scroll through them during the set. To be honest though, I don't use this for shows that often, as I don't need a lot of reverb in live situations. I consider it more of a studio tool. At first I used it strictly for guitar but quickly realized it was awesome for vocals too. It's actually become a go to box for reverb in my studio. It just sounds that good. The manual is amazingly good just like the other Eventide stuff. This company is good about providing good manuals and usable presets. The stereo/mono functionality is also great.

The more classic reverbs is probably what I use the most. They sound well...about as good as any reverb I've used no matter what the source. The tweaking options are tremendous and it's really like having the sound sculpting options of a rack unit in a reasonably small pedal space. The tru-bypass sounds fine and I never have any tone loss issues with it.

While the traditional reverb sounds are great, the weird ones are not your typical junk you find. The blackhole and mangledverb programs in particular can be a lot of fun and I use the blackhole a lot in the studio for making unique sound effects on tracks. If you are a reverb traditionalist you might not quite get your money's worth out of this pedal. This is really more for people who are addicted to it.

It's reliable. It sounds good. It's usable live. And it has about all the routing/features you could need. What more to ask for? That said, this is a lot of money for a reverb pedal and I think a lot of players would do better to find a cheaper solution unless they really really like a lot of reverb options. Considering what all you get here I think the price point is fairly reasonable, but just not for every player and especially not the more budget guys. At the end of the day though this is probably the best verb pedal out there.