Create an account

or

Thread Analog or Virtual Analogue

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Analog or Virtual Analogue
Hi
I'm planing to buy new synthesizer. but I still have too many choice. I like electronic sound like Radiohead, Board of Canada, Mum, Notwist, Mouse on Mar, Air,...
and I really want to get analog synth like ...Moog Prodigy, SH101, Pro One but I also want synth that have versaltiel function like ... Monomachine(VA)

If you were me which synth is the best choice in your oppinion for this moment?

I have budget around 1,xxx-2,000 US

Could you please give me some recomedation. (now I got only microKorg)

:D
Hi
I'm planing to buy new synthesizer. but I still have too many choice. I like electronic sound like Radiohead, Board of Canada, Mum, Notwist, Mouse on Mar, Air,...
and I really want to get analog synth like ...Moog Prodigy, SH101, Pro One but I also want synth that have versaltiel function like ... Monomachine, Ion, MS2000(VA)

If you were me which synth is the best choice in your oppinion for this moment? analog or virtual analog?

I have budget around 1,xxx-2,000 US

Could you please give me some recomedation. (now I got only microKorg)
well well! $2000 is a good budget, i know alot of people that are happy with the nord modular synth, also the waldorf microQ may be in your budget which is another analog modelling synth...both have literally millions of possibilities, i myself have been looking for old analog ones though, such as the pro one which you mentioned, to get that really simple fat analog sound (like boards of canada)

if you want to escape spending alot of cash($700 maybe), the alesis ION is not too bad, it uses some of the same programs and sounds and their flagship synth the andromeda
If I may advise you :D: go for a Clavia Nord Modular (G1). You can get one for $ 700,00. For the other $ 1300 you may consider a Yamaha AN1x and Roland JP8000 as well. These synths are second hand and sound superb.

Alesis has the ION ($ 600) and the MICRON ($ 450) which are very good as well. Or Novation's K-station or KS-synths.
Norm,
I don't suggest you get an original Moog Prodigy, unless you like to open up your synths every few months to calibrate the oscillators. I own my original and first synth, a Prodigy and, although I love it and still use it, its notorious for falling out of key and is susceptible to all sorts of instabilities caused by temperature fluctuations. I have to let it warm up for about 30 minutes before I can record with it. Because of all this, it stays put in my studio and never leaves that environment. The Pro One sports the same challenges, as do most of the pre-MIDI analog synths. They're just too unstable, despite their killer sound.

If you have a controller keyboard, you could go with an Oberheim Xpander, a module of unprecidented programming power, for the individual willing to brave a very deep analog environment.

For cheap, you could get Korg's MS2000, extemely powerful four-voice subtractive synth for only about $600.00 US for about $2300.00, slightly over your budget, I know, you could get the Dave Smith Poly Evolver Keyboard, probably the most powerful analog style synth available today. If you're up for some programming challenges, the Korg Wavestation, while not really a subtractive synth, is capable of some very unique sounds.

There is a plethora of soft synth choices, as well and, before you snub your nose at them, consider that they're much cheaper than their hardware counterparts, very stable, and capable of producing sounds never before heard. Korg's Legacy Collection, NI Absynth, Arturia's Arp 2600V, Arturia's Moog series, they all emulate their original analog fathers very closely, at a fraction of the cost and without the stability issues.

Hope that helps. =)